Re: [smime] Secure e-Mail NG?

2011-03-11 08:36:02
Hi Anders:

You may be interested in PLASMA - the draft is:

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-freeman-message-access-control-req-00.txt

I believe there will be a BOF at the upcoming meeting in Prague.

Best Regards,

Patrick.

On 2011-03-11, at 2:27 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:

As an active e-mail user I have always found email indispensable.
That e-mail also is the least secure messaging system there is of course a
nuisance.

Although e-mail hast lost some of its importance to other communication
systems,
I still think it is worth an upgrade.

STARTTLS is nice but its key handling and integration in e-mail clients is not
particularly useful.  Sending non-encrypted messages should be an exception.

IMHO, STARTTLS, DOMKEY and email clients could be combined so that we
get domain-secured e-mail as default.

Or is it better to create an entirely new messaging system to get rid of the
legacy?

I believe the update frequency of today makes client upgrades a no-issue.

Anders

---
Patrick Patterson
President and Chief PKI Architect