Re: [smime] Secure e-Mail NG?

2011-03-11 08:53:18
Hi Francesco,

Yes, "certified mail" is pretty much what I would like to see
on a major scale.  It seems that you also pushed TLS rather
than S/MIME encryption.

Good Luck BTW!

Anders

On 2011-03-11 15:16, Francesco Gennai wrote:
Hi Anders,

also if it doesn't represent an answer to your points of interest it could
be interesting to have a look at the following draft:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gennai-smime-cnipa-pec/

that describes a system currently used in Italy.

It is more oriented to "certified email" than "secured email".

Francesco

As an active e-mail user I have always found email indispensable.
That e-mail also is the least secure messaging system there is of course
a nuisance.

Although e-mail hast lost some of its importance to other communication
systems, I still think it is worth an upgrade.

STARTTLS is nice but its key handling and integration in e-mail clients is
not particularly useful.  Sending non-encrypted messages should be an
exception.

IMHO, STARTTLS, DOMKEY and email clients could be combined so that we
get domain-secured e-mail as default.

Or is it better to create an entirely new messaging system to get rid of
the legacy?

I believe the update frequency of today makes client upgrades a no-issue.

Anders