[smime] Inquiry on the usage of CAdES in S/MIME structures

2013-07-20 10:19:25
Dear list Members,

As Verion Technology Group, a technology provider working on Registered E-Mail
(REM) solutions since 2009, we are currently in the process of formulating a
set of basic implementation principles and tools for REM Management Domain
(MD)’s operative in Turkey. We need to resort to your experience and know-how
on the subject of the S/MIME specification, and I was kindly prompted by Mr.
Blake Ramsdell to address your list for further comments and insight.

The Registered E-Mail Regulatory Authority in Turkey has very recently mandated
the use of the CAdES-A profile within the S/MIME structure and as we are a bit
perplexed on the issue, we would like to inquire your comments on:

- whether it would be logical/feasible/meaningful to use the CAdES-A profile
within an S/MIME structure (for some instances within the REM workflow
CAdES-BES is also required)
- whether the above usage would present difficulties/problems in terms of
interoperability of systems (i.e. e-mail clients or BPM/ERP systems, where the
messages are expected to be utilised - e.g. a REM message received is
downloaded and then used as the input of a business process within a core
banking component) especially as regards the subsequent verification process
within these systems and among different REM Service Providers in Turkey and in
Europe (as Turkey has opted in to the ETSI TS 102640).
- whether, from a technical viewpoint, the implementation of an S/MIME
structure with the usage of a CAdES signature presents a problem with the
S/MIME RFC

- whether the S/MIME RFC should be expected to natively accomodate CAdES
profiles in the near future

We would gladly provide more details on the ETSI 102640 implementation in
Turkey, if it is of essense to the above inquiries.
We will be much obliged, should you be able to provide insight.

Thank you in advance and warm regards,

Ayhan ŞEHRİN
Man. Director
Verion Technology Group
Birlik Mah. 435. Cad. 403. Sok. No:3/3
Çankaya, Ankara - Turkey

 <tel:%2B90%20312%20496%2033%2016> +90 312 496 3316 (office)
 <tel:%2B90%20533%20556%203333> +90 533 556 3333 (mobile)

NB-REM implementation in Turkey in a tiny nutshell: In the typical REM
implementation in Turkey, an original message is required to be signed with the
sender’s Qualified Electronic Signature, two out of the currently three REMSPs
provide tools for constructing and signing the sender’s S/MIME structure on the
client, receive it over https (or over a web service for enterprise integration
instances) to the REMSP servers. The third REMSP constructs the MIME message on
its own server, hashes it an sends it for a CAdES signature to the sender’s
client. Evidence is produced by REMSPs during the mail acceptance, delivery and
retrieval milestones and is expected to be stored in WORM storage or to be
archived, XadES-A for evidence, CAdES-A for all system logs.