Re: [smime] eContentType for detached signatures

2014-05-02 05:40:53
Dear all,

When the binary data (included in a file) are not the same as the HASED binary
data (included in a hashing procedure), because before hashing procedure the
data are transformed into the canonical form, there must be also defined a new
OID for a new canonicalMessageDigest because for OBJECT IDENTIFIER
1.2.840.113549.1.9.4 messageDigest are defined rules where the whole data are
as input to the hashing procedure.

The solution, when the whole binary data are hashed but the type of the data
interpretation/processing is important, for the protection of the type of
signed data is used signed attribute id-aa-contentHint [RFC2634] where
contentDescription field contains MIME header with MIME Content-Type:

      SEQUENCE {
       OBJECT IDENTIFIER 1.2.840.113549.1.9.16.2.4 contentHint
       SET {
        ContentHints SEQUENCE {
         contentDescription UTF8String
         contentType OBJECT IDENTIFIER 1.2.840.113549.1.7.1 data
        }
       }
      }

It is also used for secure publication of web files with external CMS signature
e.g. for a trusted list protection
http://www.nbusr.sk/en/electronic-signature/signature-policies.1.html

http://ep.nbusr.sk/kca/tsl/tsl.xml.p7s

When some new rules are expected e.g. when id-ct-canonicalizedText will be
defined then also id-aa-canonicalMessageDigest must be defined and used.

Proposed creation of a new CMS content type id-ct-mime can be more helpful when
the document(s) will be signed indirectly.

Signed document identified by id-ct-mime will be DER or maybe a JSON encoded
DataReferences type. When charset is UTF-8 then it is a binary file without
canonicalization. Only ASCII txt can be processed with canonicalization.

The JSON proposal below, containing ASCII and UTF-8 data, can be also
transformed as ASN.1:

DataReferences:
{
    "hash": {
        "OID":          "2.16.840.1.101.3.4.2.1",
        "parameters":   "",
        "name":                 "SHA256"
    },
    "fields": [
    {
      "data": {
        "url": "http://www.archive.eu/docs/?typ=123";,
        "name": "invoice",
        "ext": "txt",
        "Content-Type": "text/plain"
      },
      "canonicalization": {
        "OID":          "1.2.840.113549.1.7.27",
        "name":                 "asciiTextWithCRLF"
      },
      "hash":           "MTIzNDU2Nzg5MDEyMzQ1Njc4OTAxMjM0NTY3ODkwMTI=",
      "info":   "invoice 123"
    },
    {
      "data": {
        "url": "http://www.archive.eu/docs/?typ=432";,
        "name": "invoice",
        "ext": "txt",
        "Content-Type": "text/plain; charset=UTF-8"
      },
      "hash":           "JspKEHtF3LyCalml/2mXuG1jLZ2NjdQCo2hkn+49k7o=",
      "info":   "invoice 432"
    }
    ]
}

Peter Rybar
National Security Authority
Information Security and Electronic Signature Department
Budatinska 30, 850 07 Bratislava 57, Slovak Republic
tel.: +421 2 6869 2163
mob.: +421 903 993 708
fax: +421 2 6869 1701
e-mail: peter(_dot_)rybar(_at_)nbusr(_dot_)sk