Re: [smime] eContentType for detached signatures

2014-05-02 09:23:34
Paul:

I do not agree.  When working on RFC 5485, the idea was to use a
canonicalization that was already well defined and widely implemented.  That is
why the FTP wire format for plain text was selected.

The detached signature should, in my opinion tell the type of the content being
signed.  The use of id-data does not convey this information.

Your last point is incorrect.  There have been many I-D signatures that are
correct using id-ct-asciiTextWithCRLF.  There are software bugs, and they are
being worked, but some of the signatures are valid.

I have no problem with defining id-ct-mime for cases where the content is MIME
encoded.  This object identifier would essentially mean, parse the content to
extract the media type.

Russ