Re: [smime] Key lookup service via draft-bhjl-x509-srv-00

2016-03-23 15:28:56
So an authoritative service makes sense in an Enterprise context, but not in a
consumer context.  How do you preserve consumer choice if Yahoo! owns their
email service, but they want to certify keys elsewhere?

Welcome to the key semantics undrainable swamp of despair.

If the domain says "I'm authoritative for all my users" and one of the users says "no you're not", there's no mechanical way to resolve that. You can punt to the user, which is known not to work ("Accept domain self-signed key for igor(_at_)example(_dot_)org gargle jargon blurch OK!") or else you can appeal to a credible third party. Except the third parties are CAs and they're not as credible as we might wish.

This is why the draft tip-toes around the edge of the swamp, for fear of falling in.

Regards,