Re: [smime] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC2631 (5480)

2018-08-27 23:36:59
Russ Housley <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com> writes:

I am aware of an implementation that was done 17 or 18 years ago.  I do not
know if it is still being used.

That's probably the sole implementation I'm aware of as well.  Microsoft did a
(quickly-forgotten) read-only implementation to avoid charges that they didn't
implement a standard properly (a bit of a problem for them in the late '90s),
but that nearly 20-year-old one is the only actual implementation I know of,
and given that there wasn't anything else to talk to with it I don't know
whether it got used much in practice.

For people who enjoy pain, there's a long thread on X9.42 (RFC 2631) issues
starting here:

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pkix/current/msg23858.html

with lots of background history and a side order of pies being thrown in
various directions.

Peter.