Re: [smime] Problems with versions

2022-05-05 09:45:49
Carl:

The first versions of PKCS#7 and then CMS (RFC2630) all used the earlier
version of ASN.1, so extensibility markers did not exist yet.  So, the version
number logic gives the recipient a heads up about the fields that might be
present.

RFC 5911 uses the new ASN.1 syntax, and it makes use extension markers.  It
also makes use of the ASN.1 idiom for noting in which version of CMS changes
were made from the original PKCS #7.  For example:

   RevocationInfoChoice ::= CHOICE {
       crl CertificateList,
       ...,
       [[5: other [1] IMPLICIT OtherRevocationInfoFormat ]] }

Russ

On May 5, 2022, at 9:06 AM, Carl Wallace