Re: Cancel Message for Internt Mail

1997-05-13 13:38:30
At 11:44 AM -0400 5/12/1997, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
***
*** PGP Signature Status: good
*** Signer: <Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu>
*** Signed: 5/12/1997 at 8:44 AM
*** Verified: 5/13/1997 at 12:57 PM
***

On Mon, 12 May 1997 01:35:07 +0200, you said:
Does anyone know of a discussion on a retraction function for mail
analogous to an NNTP cancel message? I have looked through the IMC and IETF
sites without success. I saw the draft SMTP extension that allows
supersession and expiration, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. I'd
like to see a way for the sender to cancel a message before it is read by
the recipient.

If there isn't such a proposal on the table is this the place to discuss it?

Yes, this would be the place to discuss it.

No, there's no such proposal as far as I am aware.

There are a number of severe problems you need to deal with in any such
proposal:

Tony, if you have some ideas that can address Valdis' concerns, I'd be very
interested in hearing more.  I have to be honest and say that I think it is
highly unlikely you can guarantee the cancel in the distrbuted environment
of the Internet.  And that is what will be required.

I even think you would be hard pressed to prove that the nntp CANCEL is
100% effective.  By that I mean that no one at any site had read a message
that was also cancelled.

john noerenberg
jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com
   "We need not to be left alone.  We need to be really
    bothered once in a while."
  -- Ray Bradbury, Farhenheit 451, 1953