Re: vacation replies to From: or envelope from

2001-04-03 06:03:12
There is no such citation of which I am aware.

Personally, I agree with the choice of responding to the message From:
header as opposed to the envelope from.  The message From: header is the
author of the content of the message and if that content is "urgent" in
any way, I would want that person to know I am not being timely.

In any case, I don't think the primary issue is where to respond but
rather when to respond.  A response should only be created when the
address of the recipient appears in either the message To: or Cc:
header.

Of course, either set of rules means that certain mailing list softare
habits are, shall we say, unorthodox.  I am often confounded by which
set of rules is really the lesser of two evils, since at this point
neither is a clear winner.

Jim