RE: vacation replies to From: or envelope from

2001-04-03 08:27:20
I disagree that a vacation autoresponder is a user agent function.  It is a
function performed for the user, yes.

But the function should be performed by the user's MTA (or mail storage agent,
whichever term you prefer).  If the vacation notice is sent by the user's MUA,
and the user's MUA is on a PC, it is likely that the user's PC won't be turned
on while the user is "on vacation".  It seems the function has to be done by
the MTA.

-d

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of James M
Galvin
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 8:03 AM
To: Keith Moore
Cc: ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: vacation replies to From: or envelope from

While I accept your point of view as valid, let me say more about why I
don't agree with it.

The issue, as I see it, is being clear about when a message has been
delivered and at what point in the infrastructure we are taking action.

The standards that define how to use DNSs today all speak to the status
of getting a message to its message store.  A message is considered
delivered if it gets there and it is the MTA that is responsible for all
the action.

Vacation notices, in my opinion, are a user agent issue.  The fact that
an MTA is executing the "vacation" program on behalf of a user or their
agent does not change the fact that the "delivery has been completed"
and the MTA responsibility has at least conceptually ended.  Once you
cross that line the envelope information is not what's important, it is
the message information that is important.

What we need are user agent DSNs to be defined, to make the distinction
between MTA delivery status and user delivery status absolutely clear.
Here's my short-list of suggestions for such statuses (there are others
but this is a short-list):

    rejected - could have been delivered but user doesn't want your
    message; reason may or may not be stated

    forwarded - user has chosen to redirect their email to some other
    address and wants you to know

    unavailable - the generic of vacation; it means a message will not
    be read before a certain date but does not speak to whether a
    message will actually ever be read

In each of these cases there would be no MTA DSN, because the final MTA
completed its job.  It is the user that is taking some action in these
cases.  Thus, I think it is wrong to respond to the envelope from
because that information is, in principle, unavailable to the user
agent.

For completeness, I agree as a practical matter that checking only the
To: and Cc: header is insufficient, and not because mailing list
behavior lacks standards.  Even with standards there would be lists that
would put explicit email addresses in the message headers; the reason is
for personalization.  Individuals will always have to account for these
when configuring their "vacation notices", unless we could get a
standard accepted that says that only one-way mailing lists may put
explicit email addresses in the message headers.  There is one mailing
list technology provider who would not like this.

Jim