Re: SMTP Service Extension for Priority

2001-07-09 12:42:46

It's worth noting that if you are looking to put this in a header,
sendmail has had such a thing for a long time in the form of the
military environment had to have this feature.  We can argue about
the implementation, but the goals were almost exactly as have been
described.

I didn't tie this in as an ESMTP extension or AUTH or any such
thing because it pre-dated ESMTP entirely, so none of that existed.

deeply sceptical about whether it would work (that is, if everyone
put in Precedence: 99 then it would be the same as everyone omitting
the header entirely).  However, that hasn't proven to be much of a
problem, perhaps because the main parameter it impacts is queue
sorting, and with high bandwidth links most mail queues move "fast
enough" to keep users happy.

I don't think anyone has played with tying it to AUTH or restricting
queue processing to messages above a certain precedence.

eric