Re: Digital Gap. (was Re: Resume command for ESMTP? )

2001-08-06 05:49:08

joaquin(_dot_)riverarodriguez(_at_)telefonica-data(_dot_)com
What do you mean by "fix the TCP infrastructure"? If you are talking about
fixing some problems on the TCP stack of protocols, you may be write, I do not
know enough to now it. But, If you wanted to say "fix your telecommunication
infrastructure", which you may meant, then I must say that imho that is not
the
way IETF should work.

There is a tremendous difference between "our first world" and the "other's
world". With the "society of information" that we are creating, the difference
is being increased and we aren't doing anything, not to close the digital gap,
but even to try to stop a little bit it's growth.

I think that IETF's role is to develop protocols to make the "net" more
UNIVERSAL for all of us, not only for the ones that have money, and fiber
optics
at the basement, but for every single human being on the planet. The answer
Valdis is giving to the problem is: "get better connections and pay for the
bandwidth". My question to it is: "Who is going to connect with fiber optic
submarine cable the 1000 islands that Indonesia is made of?"

Do you actually know that the Indonesians have significant problems with
IP/TCP/SMTP? If so, are these problems in the domain of IP, in the domain
of TCP, or in the domain of SMTP?

If you don't know, you should sit down and figure out what the problem is.

RFCs 2488, 3002 and others talk about extremely slow or error-prone
networks and may be of interest to you.

--Arnt