Re: Spam prevention gone too far?

2002-04-03 01:05:19

Quoted below is a message from the RISKS mailing list.
Any comments by SMTP experts on this?

There's nothing new here. This sort of stuff has been going on for years and it
happens all the time; check out any mailing list where operational issues for
messaging software are discussed and you'll find dozens of similar accounts.

And as far as messaging standards go, there's really nothing to say. Site
administrators are people, and people sometimes do monumentally stupid things.
Unfortunately you cannot standardize intelligence or outlaw stupidity.

I did like the last part of this RISKS item, which said:

I would even go so far as to say that I question the
legitimacy of allowing RISKS submissions from people who make it impossible
for people to send them E-mail responses to their submissions.

A Tom Lehrer line comes to mind:

  I know there are people in this world who do not love their fellow human
  beings and I hate people like that!

                                Ned