RE: I-D ACTION:draft-shveidel-mediasize-00.txt

2002-06-06 14:59:24

      Title           : SMTP Service Extension for message Media Size
                          declaration
      Author(s)       : V. Shveidel, A. Erev
      Filename        : draft-shveidel-mediasize-00.txt
      Pages           : 12
      Date            : 04-Jun-02

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shveidel-mediasize-00.txt

Hi.

I'm unable to understand the underlying architecture that caused
you to create this I-D.  What architecture of a message store
prevents it from storing, say, 1Mb of audio but allows it to
store 1Mb of plain text?

How is an SMTP client supposed to map the MIME types of a
message to the media types (voice-message, fax-message,
video-message, text-message) that you enumerate in section
9.1 of your I-D?  What of MIME types that the SMTP client
doesn't recognize - how are they to be handled?

I found no registration facility for the units used in
examples in your I-D (kb, sec, pages).  Unfortunately, the
mechanism to convert or validate one unit to another is
vague.  Further, the premise of the entire document is that
an architecture of an SMTP message store doesn't permit
it to store "large" media parts -- yet, the size of a
media part isn't indicated by its duration (seconds) or
length (pages).  Rather, only a count of bytes is
meaningful.

If you could help me understand the background for this
I-D, I'll be happy to discuss some other questions I have
with this document.

-d