Re: draft-ietf-fax-esmtp-conneg-08.txt

2003-08-12 10:33:56

--On Tuesday, 12 August, 2003 09:07 -0700 Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

Right now, Internet mail does not permit conversions to be
done anywhere in the relay chain. I suggest we try to support
the simple scenario -- which has already turned out to be far
more complex than we first thought necessary -- before trying
to solve the general case, especially since we have no
demonstrated need for it.

Dave,

Either I misunderstand the assertion above, or it is incorrect. ESTMP options --especially 8BITMIME-- quite explicitly permit (indeed, require, if the message cannot be forwarded in 8bit form and is not to be bounced) conversions in the relay chain. Whether that is actually material to "conneg", or to the discussion you and Keith are having, is another matter, but we certainly do permit such conversions.

regards,