Re: draft-ietf-fax-esmtp-conneg-08.txt

2003-08-12 11:29:22

Right now, Internet mail does not permit conversions to be
done anywhere in the relay chain.
JCK> Either I misunderstand the assertion above, or it is incorrect.
JCK> ESTMP options --especially 8BITMIME-- quite explicitly permit
JCK> (indeed, require, if the message cannot be forwarded in 8bit
JCK> form and is not to be bounced) conversions in the relay chain.

There were two problems with my original phrasing.

One is that I meant to say "there is currently no way to indicate
permission to convert".

The other is that these are content (representation) conversions,
whereas something like 8bitmime is transfer/encoding conversion. Very
different.

VKve> It's interesting you use the 'vcard' example - I have actually had a
*lot* of
VKve> problems with sites that will *BOUNCE* mail if they detect a PGP
signature,
VKve> due to broken implementations that think all 'application/*' are viruses.

I'm afraid that I do not see how a series of seriously broken
implementation and operations decisions has anything to do with this
proposal.

VKve> Keith is saying "It's broken on the 822 level, let's not do it on the 821
level too".

And I'm still not seeing what is meant by "broken on the 822 level".

Right now, Internet mail does not permit conversions to be done anywhere
in the relay chain. I suggest we try to support the simple scenario --
which has already turned out to be far more complex than we first
thought necessary -- before trying to solve the general case, especially
since we have no demonstrated need for it.

VKve> The fact it's a lot more complicated for the simple case should give you
pause....

Again, I apologise, but I do not understand your point or, for that
matter, what you are suggesting.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>