Re: [idn] FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

2003-10-27 16:43:16

I seen John and Paul proposal but I have not seen Michel. Is there a draft that I can read up?

ps: I wont be able to join the meeting but I am interested in the subject.

-James Seng

Patrik Fältström wrote:

At the IETF in Minneapolis, there will be a BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA).

It is *preliminary* on the agenda on Monday, November 10, 2003 at 1530-1730.

Chairs:  Pete Resnick, Patrik Fältström
Mailing list:imaa(_at_)imc(_dot_)org (other salient lists include
uri(_at_)w3(_dot_)org)
Agenda:

Agenda Bashing (Chairs)                5 min.
Topic Introduction (Chairs)           10 min.
Proposals
  IDNA-Based (Paul Hoffman)           15 min.
  Infrastructure-Based (John Klensin) 15 min.
  IRI-Based (Michel Suignard)         15 min.

Discussion                            60 min.

Topics for discussion:

  Are there other solutions which have been specified?

  The solutions present the problem at different scopes;

     Where should the IETF tackle it?

     Are some short-term, and other long-term?

     Can the solutions be staged or co-exist?

     If staged, how to migrate from one to another?

  What are the next steps for the IETF?

NB: This BoF is exploratory in nature, and it is not intended that the IETF will finalize a decision in this venue. It was proposed to foster a community discussion, not charter a working group or pick a winner. If further work is required, step one would be identifying individuals willing to carry that work forward.

Reading material:
  draft-hoffman-imaa-03.txt
  draft-klensin-emailaddr-i18n-01.txt
  draft-duerst-iri-04.txt

Pete and myself hope people will come with a lot of constructive comments and ideas.

        Patrik, co-chair of the bof