Re: limiting SPAM

2003-11-22 14:52:02

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:31:54 EST, "Richard O. Hammer"
<ROHammer(_at_)EarthLink(_dot_)net>  said:
Is there something which prevents spammers from sending their messages with a null reverse path in the envelope? In other words, with
MAIL FROM: <>
in the SMTP exchange?

Thanks to the three who have posted responses to my question. By reading between the lines I am guessing that there is indeed nothing, in SMTP or other protocols or standard infrastructure, to keep spammers from sending their messages with a null reverse path in the envelope. The defenses against this kind of abuse are ad hoc, possibly in violation of an RFC, and continuously being developed and tested by any who can conceive of ways to deal with it. Is it accurate for me to surmise that?

Thank you,
Rich Hammer
111 W. Corbin St.,
Hillsborough, N.C.
mailscreen.net

(Notice, if you will, an oddity. I have a name and a physical address. If you feel that I have wronged you, you can come find me.)