Comments on and FWD: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-emailaddr-i18n-02.txt

2004-01-30 10:41:15
Hi. This draft is an update on the SMTP approach to mailbox internationalization.

Three things:

        * I am copying the SMTP list on this because everything
        is getting connected to everything else, as my on-list
        discussion with Nathaniel about the "trace fields in the
        envelope" proposal illustrates.  Please, to preserve
        everyone's sanity, do not start parallel discussions or
        cross-post -- this one is clearly an IMAA issue, at
        least for historical reasons.

        * There is one more proposal I-D coming in this series.
        As a one-line summary, it outlines ("specifies" would be
        too strong at this stage, but that is the intent) the
        encapsulation model that this draft suggests for
        downgrading.

        * Very high-level summary of changes from the -01
        version: I have become convinced that, if we are going
        to have an internationalized structure for email --not
        merely a collection of kludges and workarounds-- we are
        going to need to make some rather basic changes.  They
        include SMTP extensions for i18n addresses and alternate
        addresses and UTF-8 headers as well as UTF-8 headers, in
        some form, themselves.  I've picked up on Paul's UTF-8
        header proposal because it seems sensible and nothing
        else is on the table, but the proposal announced below
        eliminates the need for alternate address headers and
        all of the mucking around in the message payload by MTAs
        they imply.   And I'm convinced that we should have
        _one_ header to cover this rather than a collection.
        I.e., the model is that one is internationalized or not,
        rather than one in which internationalization is done
        piecemeal and incrementally, with all of the profiling,
        multiplicative cases, and long-term cruft that would
        imply.

Please do not react to what you think is in this proposal without reading it or, especially based only on what you think it is about from reading the above. That is a waste of your time and that of everyone on the list, as previous rounds of such discussions amply demonstrate.

best,
   john