Re: Using SUBMIT without bothering the user (was Re: MyDoom, Sorbig - Actions taken?)

2004-02-05 12:23:49

Which reminds me. How is a MUA supposed to find its submit server?

The same way an MUA finds an SMTP server to submit mail.

I think above refers to that SMTP and POP3/IMAP server names are
preconfigured in the mail client setup for each user.

Well, that's one way to do it.  And as a way of setting defaults for
ISPs that distribute software to their customers and for companies that
distribute software to their employees, it's probably better than the
alternatives of either (a) tying the submission server to the domain
in the sender's From address or (b) tying the submission server to the
ISP the sender is currently connected to.

My guess is that one of the consequences of CANSPAM is going to be that
companies become a lot more insistent that personal email not be sent
from company email addresses or through company mail servers - which
either means that they're going to forbid all personal email from
company desktops and laptops (like forbidding all personal phone calls -
nice in theory but somewhat onerous and often impractical), or they're
going to need ways that employees can keep personal mail separate from
company mail while still being able to use company workstations and
perhaps software to read and send occasional pieces of personal mail.

--
He not busy being born, is busy dying.          - Bob Dylan