Re: deferred RCPT responses

2004-04-01 10:02:39
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:28:06 EST, Tony Hansen said:
I have no problem with this proposal, per se. However, I don't think it will
help with the spam problem much because I doubt that the illegit spammers
will
be using an MTA that supports this option.

On the other hand, some of us run legitimate mailing-list servers, and see this
as useful functionality - despite our best efforts, not all postings are
acceptable to all recipients, and anything I can do to make it easier for the
remote end to tell me in more detail, and more quickly, exactly what went
wrong, the easier *my* job gets.  "Some undetermined number of RCTP TO's
bounced"
in a separate bounce message sucks.  Being told which one is better.  Being
able to find out which one, and why, while I've still got the connection open,
is even better still.

Eric:  can you make sure your proposal is PIPELINE-friendly? There's sites that
we send enough RCTP TO: in one message that it makes a big difference...