Re: Internet Mail Architecture draft

2004-05-29 13:50:49

On 5/29/2004 9:28 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

Certainly the role of independent mta-based routing needs to be cited.

I'm not so sure that re-queuing does. I think of email's queuing as a
(popular) local implementation issue.

4xx means something completely different at:

  greeting banner
  helo response
  mail from
  rcpt to
  end-of-data

The peculiarities are dictated in the specs accordingly. More to my point
however, is that the [re-]queuing algorithms in the specs also gives
instructions on what to do in each of those cases. So no, I don't think
the queue-management stuff is local whim or intepretation at all.