Fwd: standards spring cleaning

2004-12-06 08:33:07

[[ For those of you not on the original mailing lists this was sent to. ]]

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:49:54 +0100
From: Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
To: drums(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu, lemonade(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org,
discuss(_at_)apps(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: standards spring cleaning

<mailto:discuss-request(_at_)apps(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org?subject=unsubscribe>

<mailto:discuss-request(_at_)apps(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org?subject=subscribe>
Sender: discuss-bounces(_at_)apps(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org

Good day,

I am currently involved in an experimental process to see what it would take to hold to the notion that Proposed and Draft Standards shouldn't stay in that state forever. There are a number of mail related standards that fall into this category, and I wonder if people can tell me whether the list of standards below (or any others on the broader list) should stay or go. The original list was generated programmatically by looking for proposed standards below RFC 2000 that are not obsoleted (we'll do draft later).

Here they are:

RFC1421 Privacy Enhancement for Internet Electronic Mail: Part I: Message Encryption and Authentication Procedures RFC1422 Privacy Enhancement for Internet Electronic Mail: Part II: Certificate-Based Key Management RFC1423 Privacy Enhancement for Internet Electronic Mail: Part III: Algorithms, Modes, and Identifiers RFC1424 Privacy Enhancement for Internet Electronic Mail: Part IV: Key Certification and Related Services
RFC1494       Equivalences between 1988 X.400 and RFC-822 Message Bodies
RFC1496 Rules for downgrading messages from X.400/88 to X.400/84 when MIME content-types are present in the messages
RFC1502       X.400 Use of Extended Character Sets
RFC1648       Postmaster Convention for X.400 Operations
RFC1740       MIME Encapsulation of Macintosh Files - MacMIME
RFC1767       MIME Encapsulation of EDI Objects
RFC1848       MIME Object Security Services
RFC1985       SMTP Service Extension for Remote Message Queue Starting
              (ETRN)

If you believe any of the above standards should not be reclassified as historic, could you please send a note to old-standards(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no with the RFC number and a brief reason as to why not and whether the document should be advanced. A good reason is that the standard is still generally useful. A bad reason is that a piece of old code implements it somewhere on the 'net. That having been said we have a pretty low threshold for removing something from the above list.

Thanks for your time,

Eliot

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium