Re: Re: draft-crocker-email-arch-03 Users, MDA and administrative domains

2005-03-07 16:12:07

Frank,

How did you create this message?  The mailing list address was lost.  It
required a manual input.

Anyway, see comments below:

----- Original Message -----
From: <willemien(_at_)amidatrust(_dot_)com>
To: "Bruce Lilly" <ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: Re: draft-crocker-email-arch-03 Users, MDA and administrative
domains

- Message Filtering (SIEVE)

SIEVE is a specific implementation. There are many other models for mail
filtering.

List expansion and forwarding are done by the MDA, (they depend on the
localpart of the email address) the MDA sends the message to an MTA and the
MTA sends it to other domains.

MDA is a final destination agent.  Not all models of a MDA will do list
expansions.  In our model, the list expansion is a completely separate
process altogether outside the SMTP process.

We need to be careful about how specific software you are using works.  I
believed Dave's document is a general model of the mail architecture.

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.
http://www.santronics.com