Re: "User" confusion and incomplete description of architecture in draft-crocker-email-arch-04.txt

2005-04-09 12:12:41

On Sat April 9 2005 14:25, Frank Ellermann wrote:

Bruce Lilly wrote:

A description of the mail system architecture is incomplete
unless it discusses the gateway vs. message fragment
reassembly issues documented in RFC 1344, ignorance of which
has led to security problems.

We all have our pet peeves, and yours is message/partial.

No, it's developers who ignore the architectural constraints, resulting
in breaches of security.

Message/partial per se is not a problem, although I suspect that
message fragmentation and reassembly could be defined in a way that
is more amenable to handling extension fields without having to make
backwards-incompatible changes to the deployed infrastructure.