Re: Strict RFC x821 Compliant: HELO/EHLO

2005-07-06 06:07:25

John,

I don't think I am suggesting anything that is not A) backward compatible,
B) "nefarious" in providing a new level of fuzziness.

No, quite the opposite.  I have a product in the market so it serves me no
interest to "break" operations.   I am as pure as you can get in
understanding the purity of transport/interchange model. I've done it for
atleast 3-4 networks.

What I am merely highlighting are new possible considerations that may be
"generic" and "independent" and strictly SMTP based.

For one specific issue:

        HELO #.#.#.#

I believe you are saying that we don't have a reliable way independent of
DNS to determine if this is valid or not.

If so, then we solve that issue.  However, does this say you have don't
include a discussion item in 2821bis about this?   I believe you can't
exclude such a item.

And so on with other similar considerations.  Again, please hear what I am
saying,  I am NOT suggesting anything that is "fuzzy" or random in its
principle idea.  I am talking raw SMTP level considerations.

In my view, this simple consideration alone will GO a LONG way in assisting
all the new proposals, including Dave Crocker's CSV.   The one big reason it
suffers (as well as SPF HELO provisions) is because we still have a relaxed
provision for HELO, and what I am saying, is even though that might continue
to be the consider, how much of it can be classified as invalid at the SMTP
level.

So we are not talking about requirements, but new considerations.

http://www.santronics.com