[lemonade] Re: PIPELINING and failed recipients

2006-03-09 17:43:51

At 12:28 AM -0500 3/7/06, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

At 15:40 -0800 on 03/06/2006, Randall Gellens wrote about [lemonade] Re: PIPELINING and failed recipients:

That attribution is misleading, since I was quoting a message from Tony Finch, I think.

  >   One advantage of a sync point
after the message envelope is that the client can decide not to proceed if a subset of the recipients are rejected; this doesn't work if the envelope and data are pipelined. (It is also limited by how strongly the server can
   verify addresses.) What do you think of having a NOPARTFAIL parameter to
   the MAIL command, which means that the client is asking the server to
   reject the message data if any of the recipients are rejected - "no
  >  partial failure".

If I am sending a multi-addressed message, I would like the ability (even if pipelining) to get a response stating if each recipient was accepted or not, and have the MUA requeue the message with all the rejected addresses while allowing the message to get sent with the valid addresses. IOW: Leave it as "failed" as presently occurs if it can not get sent BUT remove the accepted addresses so the failed version only contains the rejected addresses.

I am not sure what you are saying. Are you asking that clients be written to behave in a specific way regarding a message where some recipients are rejected by the submission server?

Currently, clients can choose which behavior to support: immediate send to good recipients, or hold message in abeyance and alert user, who can either correct or delete the bad rejected recipients.

No one has suggested anything that would force the client to choose one way or the other.

An extension such as "NOBADRCPT" (or "ABORTONBADRCPT" or "ERRONBADRCPT") would allow the client to behave in either way.
--
Randall Gellens
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------