Re: After a 450, queue or try next MX?

2006-08-30 12:57:18

Mike,

My input on this.

o MX Records and Retrying:

Our software and I think in general, the BCP, is to only go to the next
expanded MX record address only when a connection fails.  In other words,
you should honor the 55x to NO TRY AGAIN EVER or the 45x to TRY AGAIN LATER,
but not within the same attempt where you have expanded MX host.

When the MX list is expanded, the outbound process only goes to the next IP
if it fails the CONNECTION.  There might be some other reason in the long
established code, but off hand, it definitely only cycles on failed
connections.

But I've seen other systems behave differently on a 45x with attempts from
different machines within seconds or minutes.

o GreyListing:

We have implemented a GreyListing system. The "specs" indicate to use a 451
response.

The fine tuning which seems to be the concensus on greylist mailing list,
there are two considerations:

  - Consideration for Class C
  - Block for atleast 1 minute

The triplet hash generated may include suppor for the class C address
(X.X.X.0) rather than full IP.  And the minimum block should be atleast 1
minute.

Based on your report, they are blocking you for 300 seconds or 5 minutes.
That is definitely too long in my opinion and in the opinion of others in
the greylist support list.

But if you are retrying right away, on the second MX, that is probably not a
good idea either.

What we provide in our package is a default retry frequency of:

 [Attempts]
  Default=60
  Attempt1=5
  Attempt2=5
  Attempt3=15
  Attempt4=60

So for the first two attempts it waits 5 minutes, then 15 mins, then 1 hour
for the remaining attempts until the total attempts are exhausted (72 tries
by default which is ~ 3 days).

Hope this helps

http://www.santronics.com