Re: After a 450, queue or try next MX?

2006-08-30 12:13:14

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 07:14:42PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

Where does it say the client should stop trying after a 5xx message?
And I mean stop trying the entire list, not just that one host?

4.2.1 Reply Code Severities and Theory

   5yz   Permanent Negative Completion reply
      The command was not accepted and the requested action did not
      occur.  The SMTP client is discouraged from repeating the exact
      request (in the same sequence).

i.e. the same seqence of commands, regardless of destination host.

So I remove this particular host from the list to try and end up trying
something different _in the same sequence_.

So:
1: in that round I stop trying that host and continue at another host
2: I think I can even try this host again in the next round

I'm sorry but this doesn't convince me.

If this would be what I asked for, it would have read something like
"the SMTP client is discouraged from continuing to attempt delivery
of the message."