Re: greylisting done at end of headers, or end of daya (QUIT) ?

2007-02-01 08:37:38
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:51:02 PST, "Carl S. Gutekunst" said:

Let's say I just bought some software; the vendor is about to E-mail me
the license key. Or: I just registered at my health insurance company,
and they're sending me a confirmation code via E-mail that I must have
for access to my medical records. How am I supposed to white list those?
Even if I can guess what domain they're sending from, it's still a
manual process.

In both these cases, the mail *should* be retried in a short while *anyhow*,
and make it through on the second attempt (assuming your greylisting works
properly and they have a sane MTA that does retries).  If your greylisting
doesn't work properly, you have nobody to blame but yourself, and if they
have a non-sane MTA, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

And if you are *relying* on the fact that the liscence key or confirm code
will be shipped to you in near-real-time, and can't tolerate a requeue/retry
cycle, you probably need to re-evaluate your use of SMTP as a transport
mechanism.