Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hall-deferrals-00.txt

2007-02-04 08:11:12

On 2/4/2007 6:30 AM, Peter J. Holzer wrote:

In LMTP, the server will send the first 2xx reply after 90 seconds, and
another reply every 30 seconds. The client will never come close to the
timeout of 5 minutes. Even if it foolishly doesn't reset the timeout
after receiving each reply, the message will only be duplicated for the
last two or three recipients.

The DEFERRALS draft avoids this problem somewhat with the 353 response
code that heads the list of enumerated responses, although the current I-D
does not specify when it should be returned (it could be generated as soon
as the end-of-data mark has been received, or as soon as content scanning
begins [probably the right place for it], or after content scanning has
ended and before the list of recipient codes is returned).

On a broader not, it's entirely feasible to demand stricter conformance
from clients that implement any of these drafts. "Cheating is no longer
allowed, due to problems X and Y."