When to acknowledge messages for per-recipient data reply / deferred rcpt reply

2007-02-13 10:10:13

After reading many archived messages on per-recipient data reply / deferred rcpt reply I have come up with a thought regarding when to acknowledge recipients / messages.

I think that (valid) recipients should be acknowledged as soon as (reasonably) possible. I'm thinking about the number of sending systems that I've had to deal with that have had failed connections part way through transmission of messages. If a recipient is acknowledged as soon as (reasonably) possible rather than waiting until all recipients have been processed it is more likely that sending systems will receive the acknowledgment prior to failed transmission, thus having fewer recipients that it needs to re-send the message for. The only reason that I can come up with as to why not do this is for a performance / efficiency reason(s) out weighing the desire to have a robust protocol that will still partially work for some recipients in the event of a communications failure.

Grant. . . .