Re: domain name definition in RFC2821

2007-03-20 09:22:06

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, John C Klensin wrote:

(1) I replace the existing text in 2.3.5 by a comment reminding people that
single-label domains MUST NOT appear between SMTP servers unless they refer to
TLDs and that any implementation intending to use single-label domains as
abbreviations must be sure to have a mechanism for distinguishing between such
abbreviations and FQDNs.

My instinct and understanding right now is that the first option reflects the
dominant current practice as we understand it and ought to be the choice here.

Agreed.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
SOUTHEAST ICELAND: NORTHERLY BACKING SOUTHERLY 6 TO GALE 8, DECREASING 4 FOR A