Re: RFC2821bis-01 Issue 12: IPv6 MX records and transitions (was: Re: IPv6)

2007-04-02 09:49:41

On Mar 31, 2007, at 5:24 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

having to prohibit IPv6 (or IPv6-without-IPv4) in 2007
seems strange and very unfortunate.  RFC3974, which does derive
from operational experience, doesn't shed a lot of light on
this: a quick summary is that IPv4-only is ok, IPv6-only is ok,
but, for mixtures or unknown destinations, any IPv6 host had
better be running dual-stack with some IPv4 MX records.  That
document contains a few statements that I believe to be serious
errors (perhaps the reason it was published as an independent
submission with strong disclaimers), but it is at least a
thoughtful attempt to explore the problem.

I need consensus advice on this one.

Do we have the right IPv6 experience on the list for this one? I'm not sure who to consult, but there may be experts not on this list (please pipe up if you are an expert and on this list already, or if you have a suggestion who to consult). There's probably relevant operational experience out there already.

Lisa