Re: TINW was RFC2821b is-01 Issue 1: trailing dot in Domain

2007-04-03 04:19:41

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Well... I ran a little xargs dig | sort | grep I wc loop now, and see a
depressingly large number of TLDs now have MX records. The first time I
counted that was in the early nineties: 1 TLD MX. Then second was IIRC
around the time 2821 was published: 0. And the third today: 25.

There are also several TLDs with A records - only a couple have both. None
have AAAA records :-)

What does this mean? I'm not sure. I think I'd like to hear what some of
the people operating those MXes thing. Shall I spam postmaster@ those
and ask?

You'll be disappointed :-) I've done some non-intrusive probes
(MAIL/RCPT/RSET) to see what I can find. Most of them are horribly
misconfigured - the MTAs don't think the domain is local or aren't
listening. Only five seem to work (ai, io, tk, tt*, ua), in that they
accept email to postmaster and not to random addresses. Three of these
are set up with the zone admin's first name as a valid local part.
Five accept anything (as, bj*, hr, mh*, va*). The four I have marked
with * have broken secondary MXs.

http://fanf.livejournal.com/72486.html

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
NORTH UTSIRE SOUTH UTSIRE: NORTH BACKING NORTHWEST 5 TO 7, OCCASIONALLY GALE