Re: rfc2821bis-3 nits and typos

2007-04-26 19:54:15

--On Thursday, 26 April, 2007 18:35 -0700 Douglas Otis
<dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org> wrote:

I have been unable to keep up with the ongoing threads, but
had a quick look at the document.  Good work!

Here are a few minor comments that hopefully will not be going
over old ground.

----
Abstract:

It consolidates, updates, and clarifies several previous
documents, making all or parts of most of the obsolete.

Typo: change "most of the" to "most of them"

Amazing that no one has caught this before, but fixed.

----
2.1. Basic Structure:

  ...delivering a message or properly reporting the failure to
do so.

Nit: Change "reporting failure to do so." to "reporting
failure to the originator address.  When a possibility has
been determined that a failure subsequent to acceptance will
not be reported, refusing the message better retains delivery
status integrity and is generally preferred."

That is not a nit, but part of what is now issue 25.

----
2.3.2. Senders and Receivers

Nit: Consider changing "Sender" to "Transmitter",
"Transmission Channel", or "Dispatcher" to avoid confusion
with "Sender:".  Perhaps adopt server/client rather than abuse
the word sender.  Although this will touch many sentences,
such a change will provide greater clarity going forward.

IMO, too large a change, expecially since SMTP-Sender and
SMTP-Receiver (the terms used in 821) is the terminology of last
resort when terms based on "client" and "server" are
insufficiently precise.  I can try this if enough people think
it is important but, based on the experience with changing
informal text to SHOULD/ MAY/ MUST terminology --which I now
expect to have to back out-- I recommend against embarking on
more adventures of this type if people really want to get this
done anytime soon... like this calendar year.

----
3.3. Mail Transactions

When the end of text is successfully received and stored the
SMTP-receiver sends a 250 OK reply.

Typo: Add comma.

When the end of text is successfully received and stored, the
SMTP-receiver sends a 250 OK reply.

Changed.

----
3.6. Relaying and Mail Routing

...Of course this prohibition also applies to any
modifications of these fields or text.

Nit: Append to this paragraph:

See section 7.9., Scope of Operation of SMTP Servers.

Reference added.  Not sure it is a good idea.

----
4.1.1.1. Extended HELLO (EHLO) or HELLO (HELO)

  Private-use commands MAY be listed .

Typo: change "MAY be listed ." to  "MAY be listed."

Fixed.

Thanks,