Re: DNS VRFY (was: Somewhat OT: Re: rfc2821bis-03 Issue 35: remove source routes from example D.3)

2007-05-03 13:50:42

ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

Hash function agility. Recent experience has shown that hard coding a
specific hash function in an application is a really bad idea. (MD5 in
particular is sufficiently broken at this point that using it in any
new application is essentially a nonstarter, but SHA-1 or even SHA-256
should not be hard coded either.)

Somewhat OT, but maybe you confused "hash" and "cryptographic hash" (?)
For the purpose discussed here you have a fixed right hand side, and we
can (arbitrarily) say that this can be restricted to max. 50 characters.

That gives us about 200 octets to "encode" a hash of a complete address,
let's say four labels of length 50.  To avoid trouble we can limit these
labels to a variant of B32 char.s (we're not forced to use LDH labels),
so that gives us about 5 * 200 = 1000 bits.  MD5 isn't long enough for
1000 bits, it would result in more collisions than necessary.

But I've another objection to this idea:  For the example "New Orleans
is down", where are the name servers answering these queries from the
backup MX ?  If the name servers are also down it won't work when it's
needed.

Frank