Re: rfc2821bis-03 Issue 35: remove source routes from example D.3

2007-05-02 02:03:42
On 2007-05-01 18:17:06 -0700, SM wrote:
At 14:13 01-05-2007, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
   Many of the problems described above can be avoided by not accepting
   a mail in the first place. An SMTP server (especially one acting as
   MX) SHOULD make every reasonable efford to determine whether the
   message will be delivered to the recipients mailbox and reject the
   the message during the SMTP transaction if that is not the case.

Yes.  But that may be construed as forbidding bounces
altogether.  This makes existing mail servers non-compliant overnight.

Please note that's "SHOULD" not "MUST". Violating a SHOULD doesn't make
a server non-compliant. However, the implementor should carefully
consider the pros and cons.

Also this paragraph only gives a recommendation to prefer "check during
SMTP transaction" over "accept, and check later". It doesn't say
anything about sending or not sending NDNs for messages which were
already accepted. This is adequately (in the scope of RFC 2821bis - we
could of course write a whole best practice RFC about that topic)
discussed in the paragraphs above.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | I know I'd be respectful of a pirate
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | with an emu on his shoulder.