OT: 5xy - Do we need a "I MEAN IT!" do not retry response code?

2007-05-02 02:42:08

Here is food for thought:

I found this interesting documentation note is a "Professional Spammer" Mass Emailer web site. Name removed to protect the ignorant.

   SPAMMERX provides bounce handling capabilities such that after
   an e-mail address has bounced a certain number of times,
   SPAMMERX will cease sending to that address in future e-mail
   campaigns. SPAMMERX does not distinguish between hard and soft
   bounces but does categorize between more granular categories
   of bouncebacks, including out-of-office autoreplies, mailbox
   full, and user-not-found bounces. Only bounceback messages
   indicating that the e-mail address is truly invalid are
   actually counted as true bounces. Out-of-office autoreplies
   and mailbox-full bounces are never counted as true bounces. By
   default, your SPAMMERX account is set so that after an e-mail
   address has bounced three times, SPAMMERX will stop sending
   future e-mail campaigns to it, even if you try to send to it.

Interesting, so this Mass Mailer "Spam" service ignores 4xy/5yx and will try at least 3 times to the same address before it does something with the address.

I didn't catch well what it meant by "hard and soft bounces" and "BounceBack Messages?" Does that main a real accept/bounce transaction or a 5xy response? or both?

Gees, no wonder these guys get such a bad rap! They can actually harm their own customers by not RESPECTING rejects!

Anyway, just thought this was interesting.

--
HLS