Re: Final draft: draft-crocker-email-arch

2007-05-09 10:33:33

Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg) wrote:
The biggest "wart" remaining is the lack of a loop-detection algorithm that
does not require peeking into the headers to review previous trace info.
That's a wart that seems too expensive to fix.  Clearly an SMTP extension
to add the accumulated received lines to the MAIL FROM would make things
easier if only it could be incrementally deployed.  (I don't think it can
since it requires widespread adoption before it can be useful)

Hmmm. Loop detect might serve as a good example of why information that is created by the MHS, and placed into the rfc2822 header, qualifies as "envelope"...

Had we done this part of email correctly, there would be two headers. One for MUA-MUA and the other involving the MHS and MUA. But we didn't. Hassles resulting from this crop up regularly.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking