Message-ID (was: Final draft: draft-crocker-email-arch)

2007-05-11 18:08:27

Dave Crocker wrote:

* 3.3.1 Message-ID:

  "it is associated with the RFC2822.From field, ..." How so? I don't
  see any conceptual association between the From and the Message-ID
  field: While some MUAs may use (parts of) the From field in generating
  the Message-ID, others ignore it.

The discussion about Message-ID attempts to characterize it as distinguishing
among different messages.  The difference among messages is primarily due to
choices made by the authors.  That's the From field.

Or, at least, that's the theory behind the statement...

...but maybe incorrect.  If I'm secy@ and get a message from boss@
to be sent out it's IMO my job as the sender to guarantee that its
Message-ID is "worldwide unique forever", not the job of the author:

|      Date: 26 August 1976 1430-EDT
|      From:George Jones<Group at Host>
|      Sender:Secy at SHOST
|      To:Al Neuman at Mad-Host,
|               Sam Irving at Other-Host

In this RFC 733 example both Sender and Message-ID use "at SHOST".

Frank