Re: rfc2821bis-01 Issue 19: Explanatory text after literal in EHLO

2007-05-09 15:35:59

--On Wednesday, 09 May, 2007 14:50 -0400 Tony Hansen
<tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com> wrote:

<developer hat on>
Our implementation will accept this syntax but does not
generate it.

Does *anyone* generate it?
</developer hat off>

<editor hat off>
<sometime-developer hat on>
I had a gateway-to-the-Internet implementation that could, and
did, generate it some years back, even before 2821 officially
made it valid.  A few receiver-SMTPs balked; most, apparently
(we asked a few) interpreting the "don't reject on this basis"
text in 1123 even more liberally than 2821 did, just accepted it
and ignored it.

As far as I know, that implementation is no longer in use.
Perhaps more important, unless the added information is copied
into trace fields, it is probably fairly useless.  And I'm not
aware of any implementation, ever, that copied the added
information into trace fields.

So while I'm a little sad to see this go, and perhaps more sad
to find it not in use, I can't make an argument for retaining it.
</developer>
</editor>

     john