Re: rfc2821bis-01 Issue 19: Explanatory text after literal in EHLO

2007-05-09 17:14:00

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 02:50:06PM -0400, Tony Hansen wrote:
<developer hat on>
Our implementation will accept this syntax but does not generate it.

Does *anyone* generate it?
</developer hat off>

I recall having seen it generated by some network cameras that send
images out in email.  They have embedded software so most likely it
won't be updated during gadget's lifetime...

Checking my current inbound SMTP logs covering several months I do see
couple dozen cases where the HELO/EHLO parameter has more than one
one token in it.  A lot where the parameter is  1.2.3.4 -type badly
formatted address literal (should have been [1.2.3.4]) but that
wasn't the interesting question..

Most of those "multi-token" cases are of style:

    HELO john smiths computer.isp.domain.here

So if anything, I would emphasize that in real world the HELO/EHLO parameter
existence or value has no real meaning, it should be sent as specified but
failure to comply with strict syntax is not to be considered an error.

I did notice this week that sendmail 8.13.8 wants to have properly formatted
HELO-parameter...  which broke email sending from one application when it had
broken configuration.  At least that config setup is practically useless in
generic ISP job, but works internally among UNIX servers..

      Tony Hansen
      tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com

--
/Matti Aarnio   <mea(_at_)nic(_dot_)funet(_dot_)fi>