Re: rfc2821 New Issue: Section 4.3.2, the "anywhere" codes, and related topics

2007-12-01 12:17:18

Bill McQuillan wrote:

> My copy of draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-06 would suggest 512 characters:
>
> 4.5.3.1.4.  command line
>
>    The maximum total length of a command line including the
>    command word and the <CRLF> is 512 characters.  SMTP
>    extensions may be used to increase this limit.

Yes and note we have semantics for increasing but not lowering.

However, check this out:

      http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1654

According to this recommended setup, the allowed effective limits are:

     EHLO       65   (71 - 6)
     HELO       65   (71 - 6)
     MAIL FROM  254  (266 - 12)
     RCPT TO    256  (266 - 10)
     NOOP       32   (38 - 6)

This is so bad.

What "bugs me" is the only reason they even suggest increasing NOOP to
38   is to cure mail delivery problems with their own Exchange servers
who are "padding NOOP."  Well, what about the rest of the world?

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com