Re: MX to CNAME and (mis)interptretation of 2821

2007-12-13 08:38:09

On Dec 13, 2007, at 9:21 AM, Hector Santos wrote:
To me, "Current and Modern" DNS client software takes into account the idiosyncrasies of the system, including this very common issue. So if a current/modern DNS client is ignorant of such issues, well, think what you wish - it will be viewed as "buggy" and if you deal customer service business, it will be your problem.

I think that depends a lot on your environment. In a lot of environments, "$OTHERPLACE has their DNS borked in such a way that it breaks the standards and causes an error" is an acceptable response, and sufficient to close a problem-report.

Cheers,

Derek J. Balling
Manager of Systems Administration
Vassar College