Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis: closing the implicit MX issue

2008-04-21 05:45:34

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:33:51PM -0400, Tony Hansen wrote:

                                         One person who had a site set
up with an IPv6-only connection and no MX record told me "I wanted to
forward my e-mail to an account on that machine. It worked the first
time, so I didn't see a need to change it."

So he setup a forward to <user(_at_)[machine-ip6-address]> and it worked.
Not really an argument _pro_ adding AAAA-fallback IMHO.

not clear. he might have set up forwarding to user(_at_)domain(_dot_) and it worked because it just happened that the one MTA doing the forwarding implemented fallback to AAAA.

I don't think that's much of a pro-fallback argument either, but we should acknowledge that some existing MTAs do implement fallback.