Re: MX lookup error handling change

2008-05-08 11:29:18

On Thu, 8 May 2008, SM wrote:

   When a domain name associated with an MX RR is looked up and the
   associated data field obtained, the data field of that response MUST
   contain a domain-name.  That domain-name, when queried, MUST return
   at least one address record (e.g., A or AAAA RR) that gives the IP
   address of the SMTP server to which the message should be directed.
   Any other response, specifically including a value that will return a
   CNAME record when queried, lies outside the scope of this standard.

I assume that you are referring to the last sentence.

All of it, really. If the MX records MUST point to domains that refer to
IP address records, then someone might read that as permission to treat
the whole lot as broken - especially since this requirement applies when a
sender looks up an MX record, not when the recipient configures it.

Though, as you point out, since the sentence from RFC 2821 is still
present, perhaps it's not as bad as I thought at first.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
LUNDY FASTNET: SOUTHEAST VEERING NORTH OR NORTHWEST 3 OR 4. SLIGHT OR