Re: SMTP metadata transfer

2008-05-19 09:06:30

Tony Finch wrote:
On Mon, 19 May 2008, Paul Smith wrote:
So, I wondered, could an extension not be come up with to allow 'metadata' to
be passed with the message. At the moment we have the envelope (sender +
recipient) and data. What if we could add arbitrary data to go along with the
'envelope'.
Doesn't the existing DSN ENVID parameter do this for your?
No, because it has a limited size.

Regarding metadata transfer: it might be handy. I was thinking about an SMTP extension for passing IMAP flags from sender to recipient, for example I can annotate a message with flags using Thunderbird [something I can do already], then forward the annotated message [something I can't].