Re: Proposal for Adjusted DATA Timeout

2008-05-27 09:21:25
Tony Finch wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2008, Paul Smith wrote:
Personally, I'd prefer either a 'keep-alive' or an analogue to the NNTP
'IHAVE', so the sending MTA can say to the receiving MTA 'I have message ID
xxxxx' and the receiving MTA can say 'I've already seen that, don't bother
sending it again'.

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/qsmtp/draft-fanf-smtp-rfc1845bis.html
OK. Does anyone support that though?

It does seem overly complicated. I'd be reluctant to put the effort in to support that (unless it became very widely supported) For instance, I'd have thought that having to resume partial DATA sessions is pretty much unnecessary now. It could have been useful in 1995 when RFC 1845 was first written, but things have changed.

OTOH, a 'have you seen this message before' extension could be much simpler to implement. (It's essentially what we do already with our dupe detector, but with explicit command support, so the sender doesn't need to resend if it's a dupe).

--
Paul Smith

VPOP3 - POP3/SMTP/IMAP4/Webmail Email server for Windows